Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Classroom Organization


I definitely am not the most organized person in the world. I'll be the first one to admit that, but since I have a combination class I had to become very organized with my reading and math workshops. Here is an example of how I run my workshops. The kids are now pros at rotating through seatwork, center, and working with the teacher. At the school I work at we use "Thinking Maps." I felt it was appropriate to use a "flow map" since the kids are familiar with them and how they work. Let me just say, since using this new rotating system, I get to ALL my small groups on a daily basis.  I also feel that the kids get A LOT more out of math by conducting it in small groups. I can focus more on each topic with my students who struggle in math and give kids a challenge who are ready to go above and beyond what we are learning. The kids absolutely love the rotating workshops because they get to go to a center every day. I can't take full credit for the idea though. I found a similar idea on Beth Newingham's 3rd grade website. A link to her site is below. She's amazing and has completely changed the way I think about reading and math.

No comments:

Post a Comment